As the last hours (literally) of Devember draw to a close, the last commits are in and pushed up to the devember-2017 repository. From this point forward, the development focus for hyperhelp and SnAPI will revert back to their respective dedicated repositories, and a new repository for
HyperHelpAuthor will be created. Look for the changes made during Devember to be pushed over to those repositories in the coming days.
This devlog update might be the shortest one of any Devember entry thus far. All of the work done this evening was to update and upgrade the core help that is packed with hyperhelp itself to make it more accurate. All of the existing help (save the
authoring.txt file) is now updated with the latest information on the related topics, which also includes some rewording and some general clean up.
Tomorrow will be the day for trying to grind out the last of the help, which includes fleshing out the stubbed
authoring.txt file as well as including some other files that detail the structure of the support files to better document how they work, and a little work up on the API that’s available to outside packages.
There’s not really a lot else to say here, except that thanks to this clean up the lint warnings on the entire help package have dropped to three and most files are now clean, which is nice.
Here we are at the antepenultimate day of Devember 2017 and the last of the linter changes for the initial authoring tools has been completed, oh happy day!
If you thought that the most recent devlog entries were short, get ready for this!
For this evening’s brief update there is yet more linting action including some visual changes (plus a screenshot below the fold) and some other code cleanup in that general area. I ran over the amount of time I had allotted to this since I was also going to work on some video editing, but that’s just how things roll sometimes.
With a little nip here, a touch of tuck there, and some overall clean up the big change for making the linting code more modular and less ugly has been completed. This seemed to go exactly as I was planning on and I didn’t manage to distract myself with something shiny and send myself down a tangential path to blocking progress, so that’s also a net win.
I started the evening working on the refactoring of the current help linting code in the authoring tools and quickly sent myself down a rabbit hole of refactoring in other areas entirely. As much fun as it is to write new code, it’s also quite enjoyable to go back over what you’ve done and clean it up a little bit.
This time around the changes are primarily for the loading of resources, which ties in with what I was originally going to be working on while at the same time knocking some items off of the TODO list and making things more robust to boot, so that’s nice.
In years past I’ve gotten ready for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day by getting the coding portion done during free moments earlier in the day, so that when the evening came all that was left was to write the development log. This year I’ve been too busy for that, and so I have to do all of my coding in the evenings, which during these last couple of days has been at a premium.
I did get some visible coding work done, though; you can’t keep an old coder down.
As predicted, I kept myself to just slighting over an hour of work tonight due to it being Christmas Eve, and the development log will be similarly short as a consequence. The main changes were some syntax tweaks in order to enable a new feature as well as to fix a defect that would cause some constructs to not work as expected. There was also a modicum of code cleanup to get ready for some bigger changes coming after Christmas day.
I really let the evening get away from me, since I should currently be already asleep in preparation for an early awakening to go out for breakfast and perform some last minute cookie deliveries. Time flies when you’re having fun, I guess.
If you’re one of those Sublime text users that also writes packages for Sublime, you’re going to like what this day has in store, I think.
As for yesterday, this is going to be a short post, as will the next few as we pass through the height of the Christmas season. In all years past I’ve managed to fulfill the Devember contract minimum of one hour per day, and I don’t plan on missing out on that this year. However that does mean that devlog posts will not be as detailed as they usually are.
This is probably not that great a hardship since at the moment most of the coding being done is low key cleanup and feature additions that were planned out for the point in December where I will probably have less time and people will be less inclined to want to read anything anyway.